Curriculum Overview - Summer Term
See our Homework Schedule for Year 1 children
|Summer 1st half
||In the Garden
|Summer 2nd half
||Summer Holidays Past and Present
Literacy (linked to Topics)
- Compare different books by the same author ‘Percy The Park Keeper’ series by Nick Butterworth.
- Talk about what’s in our gardens and discuss similarities and differences between insects
- Write book reviews stating preferences and reasons.
- To make an information booklet about minibeasts and their habitats.
- Use dictionaries and glossaries correctly.
- To form questions correctly.
- Daily phonics and grammar sessions.
- Handwriting vertical and horizontal joins.
- Add or subtract mentally a 1 digit number or multiple of 10 to or from any 2, 3 digit number. (Year 2 two digit numbers)
- Derive and recall doubles of all numbers to 20 and the corresponding halves.
- Understand that halving is the inverse of doubling
- Problem solving involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in contexts of numbers, money and measures
- Identify 2 and 3d shapes and identify shapes from different positions and orientations.
- Sort, make and describe shapes, referring to their properties.
- Notice that different animals and plants prefer different environments.
- To recognise the characteristics of living things
- Carry out investigations, fair tests to find out what plants need to grow.
- Discover facts about mini beasts and draw and label them.
Years 1 & 2
- Look at changes in our local area.
- Find out about beach holidays, then and now
- Recognise how and why people did things in the past
- Read Stories from the Bible
- Celebrate different cultures and celebrations
Art & Design
- Forest School - Design a home for a minibeast, make a shelter
- Patterns in Nature. Create pictures, collages using natural materials
- Observe the work of different artists, Andrew Goldsworthy, Archimboldo, William Morris and how their creations were based on using natural materials.
- Use musical instruments to tap, shake, beat the syllables in the names of different mini beasts.
- Design a garden
- Stop motion animation
- Respecting all living things
Modern Foreign Languages
- Numbers, colours, days of the week and topic related songs and vocabulary